If you’re reading this, that means we reached 100 subscribers on our You Tube Channel and our link isn’t 50 letters long and hideous anymore! Woo! We wanted to sincerely thank each and every one of you for following along with and supporting us as we push for our dream to become a reality.
We are beyond grateful to have a community of people surrounding us that we are so proud to call our own, so we wanted to bring a little bit of attention to our second family this week.
It is not lost on me that some of our favorite hobbies can be super intimidating to break into. Learning to surf can be a really scary thing when you’re standing on the beach looking at everyone catching waves with ease. When I first moved to the beach 10 years ago, I had just bought a random cheap-o board online and was teaching myself how to surf. I lived right around the corner from a little surf shop called Aussie Island, and I am so grateful that I did. From the first time I went in there, I felt welcome and accepted. Chris, Dean, Zach and the whole crew always took the time to talk to me and make me feel at home. Three years later, they even gave me my first job! I worked there for years on and off and am still available to help cover shifts with them when I’m home.
Breaking into a new community can be daunting but if you’re looking to start surfing and live in the Wilmington area, you’ve already got friends at Aussie. They are truly happy to take the time to talk to you in detail about what’s best for you when starting out, or even if you’re more experienced and looking to talk board shapes, suits, etc. They are so happy to be doing what they do every day, and it really shows in how they treat their customers, employees, and community.
All this to say – don’t be afraid to go after what you want! It is always possible to start new hobbies or activities, even if it’s scary at first! Finding a community of like-minded individuals can make all the difference. I may have never continued to surf or compete in surfing if it wasn’t for finding my family over at Aussie Island and having their backing. I also may not have had the opportunity to really pursue my art if it wasn’t for them. I have a logo that consistently sells out at the shop and two of my own skateboard deck designs! If you walk in somewhere, and don’t feel welcome, roll out! But don’t give up! Keep your head up, keep pushing for what you want to do. If something is calling you to try it, it’s for a reason and you will find your place in time. Always remember – we all started somewhere, so don’t worry about looking stupid or people watching you, just get the heck out there and have some fun! As Zach always reminds me, the person having the most fun is the best surfer out there.
Not only are we super thankful for Aussie Island, but we are also so so so grateful for you! Yes, you reading this. I honestly can’t believe that anyone would want to come to a website and read my rambling thoughts, but yet here you are! So to thank you all for watching our videos, following us on Instagram, reading this here blog, and for supporting us in this crazy dream of ours… a giveaway!
Giveaway Rules & How to Enter
- This giveaway is not sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram
- This contest is hosted by Living Without Walls and Aussie Island Surf Shop
- The giveaway will run from Monday, July 15 at 8:00AM EST and end Monday, July 22 at 12:00AM EST (Midnight)
- Entrants must live in the United States and have a valid U.S. shipping address
- Winner will be chosen at random and announced on Tuesday, July 23 via Instagram DM & public post
- Prize will be delivered by USPS mail, postage paid by us! Or… if you’re local we would love to meet you and feature you in the Vlog!
How to Enter:
- Follow @LivingWithoutWalls and @AussieIsland on Instagram
- Leave a comment on the original Giveaway post tagging at least one (1) friend
- One (1) extra entry for commenting on THIS blog post
- One (1) extra entry for commenting on the YouTube “100 Subscriber Giveaway Foamy Surf Sesh” Vlog
What you win:
- Aussie Island Skateboard deck with my art!
- Aussie Island “Surf NC” Logo Tee
- Aussie Island 3 Sticker Pack
- Living Without Walls Enamel Camping Mug
- Living Without Walls 3 Sticker Pack
- 1 Bag of Counter Culture “Fast Forward” Whole Coffee Beans
We are beyond excited about giving back even in this small capacity to you guys. Can’t wait to see who the lucky winner is! Good luck!